DIY Flower Crown Making

Yesterday was my daughters first Communion. We went back and forth for MONTHS between dress choices. Just as much time was spent on what she should wear in her hair… a traditional communion veil and tiara, a mantilla veil, or a flower crown. Ultimately, the flower crown won, especially after we bought the dress. It was a gorgeous dress from Monsoon, with crocheted lace and tulle.  Just a touch of bohemian, and that suited her just fine.

I expected all of the other little girls there to have tiara’s and veils, so I didn’t feel right about having just a small delicate crown.  And if anyone knows me well, they know I go all out on everything I set out to do.  I bought garden roses and ranunculus from a well know florist in town that holds a flower market on the weekends.  DIY flower crowns are definitely cost effective, but I still spent a total of $60 on 2 garden roses, 3 ranunculus, and a few filler flowers.  The other supplies I needed, like wire, floral tape, and wire cutters were an additional $4, but I have enough left over to make 20 more crowns.  All the floral supplies you need can be found at the Dollar Store!  The roses Roses from your grocer could be just as beautiful, but buy them at least two days in advance to give them a chance to open and relax.

 

I don’t have a new and innovative way of making a flower crown that hasn’t already been covered on the internet, but I did use some instruction from Lauren Conrad’s blog post on flower crowns, and a little common sense.  Lauren’s tutorial used flowers that were less expensive and a bit more sturdy.  The variety of garden roses I bought were $14 a stem, and very delicate, so I had to use the floral wire to secure some of my flowers when it started getting full instead of securing everything with floral tape.

 

First I used the larger gauge wire and measured it around her head.  I broke apart the filler flowers and stared attaching them using the floral tape.

 

Once I added enough filler to cover the wire, I started attaching the larger flowers.  I only ended up using the two roses and two ranunculus.  Our original plan was to focus the larger flowers off to the side of her head, but we ended up wearing them in front.   Flowers that size around her entire head would have been overkill.

I was so happy with the way it turned out.  I made it the night before, put it loosely in a bag, and stuck it in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator overnight.  When I pulled it out in the morning, it was still perfect.

I wish I could wear a flower crown everyday!